Thursday 20 January 2011

Soviet Air Forces MiG-21 MF 1/32 Revell



Big 1/32 scale "Fishbed-J" kit from Revell isn't bad for such an oldie, but there are serious issues with some parts like canopy or tail part: they just don't fit. This model was just something to tinker with between more serious projects and looks adequate when finished. Original kit decals were for Luftwaffe "shark" special or East German Air Force camouflage, but I wanted the Red Stars and used Strike Eagle MiG-17 aftermarket decals instead. This model represents one of six MiG-21 MFs which made an official visit to Rheims, France in September 1971. There was an illustration in Aircraft in Profile about Marshal P.S. Kutakhov's "Blue 30", but I figured it would have been possible if one of the planes was a "Blue 40" like this.


From Künnapuu, Ants: 100 Ōhusōidukit. Illusteerinud V.Tōnisson (Valgus, Tallinn, 1975)

The canopy is a mess, tried already twice to fix it.





2 comments:

batdetectors@gmail.com said...

Awesome. My favorite plane- I don't know why? But, I've built them from 1/72 to 1/48 (so far). Excellent build (and review).

wade said...

Thank you! I've got to try a 1/48 scale MiG-21 too.