Friday 7 January 2011

US Navy Grumman F-14D Tomcat 1/72 Airfix








I had planned building this Airfix 70's Tomcat kit just 'as is', but the decal sheet caused some trouble. First, the Wolf Pak looked too simple and off-color even for an Airfix, and just to make sure I lost the whole sheet while putting this kit together. So, it became a testbed for Aeromaster aftermarket decals instead, as I've been toying with the idea of using good quality decals on a vintage Airfix for a while. Here's the result, they certainly spiff up the model, but I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble in the end. Out-of-the-box is never a strategy easily dismissed with old Airfix kits, it seems! Anyway, it's an Airfix navy jet, another must for my collection so to speak. Painting by airbrush with Xtracolor enamels for a two-tone Gull Grey retro scheme.


No comments: